Saturday 30 October 2010

Killie Me Softly

The managing director at my place of work is a Kilmarnock fan. I’m tempted to say the Kilmarnock fan but I don’t quite fancy the prospect of seeing my P45 sitting on my desk on Monday morning. Therefore, I won’t. In any case, Killie usually take a sizeable support through to Tynecastle so intimating the boss might be sitting on his ownsome in the Roseburn Stand on Sunday would be a tad harsh. One might also have a case for saying supporters of a certain vintage of both clubs can relate to certain similarities in Ayrshire and the west end of Edinburgh in recent years.

Since the days my MD and I began following our respective teams there have been many highs and lows. More lows, admittedly, particularly if you’re an aficionado of the Killie Boys (sorry, boss)

Both teams have endured relegation and gone through the relief of promotion. I could point out that Killie fell as low as the Third Division at one point but I suspect a retort from those in blue and white would be that their team denied Hearts promotion on the last day of season 1981/82 by thrashing Queen of the South 6-0 while Hearts were losing at home to Motherwell. And while I’m on the subject of last day scenarios, I should say I’m thankful I was wasn’t at Tynecastle on the final day of season 1964/65 when Hearts and Killie met for the league title decider. Hearts would have been champions as long as they didn’t lose by two goals or more. Inevitably, given Hearts penchant for snatching despair from the jaws of triumph, the maroons proceeded to lose 2-0 and thereby handed the league championship to Kilmarnock. I was only three years old at the time so I recall nothing of the events of that day but the Tynecastle history books say it did happen and the devastation Hearts fans felt that day would be re-enacted at Dens Park twenty one years later…

Tommy McLean, a winger of some note in the 1960s and 70s began his career at Kilmarnock before moving to Rangers and then beginning a successful managerial career - although his year in charge of Hearts in 1994/95 was somewhat less than glorious. Both Kilmarnock and Hearts are among the handful of clubs outwith the Old Firm to have lifted the Scottish Cup in last twenty years - and they did it in successive years, Killie in 1997 and Hearts a year later. Allan Johnston, Gary Locke, Grant Murray, Gary McSwegan and now Kevin Kyle are among the players who have pulled on both the blue and white and the maroon and white. And, of course, there are Jim Jefferies and Billy Brown who were at Hearts, left for Bradford and returned to Scotland with Kilmarnock - before coming home to Hearts again earlier this year.

The reason I admit to having a wee soft spot for Kilmarnock is that I recall some ding-dong affairs between Hearts and Killie over the years. I have to confess to not having visited Rugby Park on too many occasions. My first trip was to see Hearts secure a 2-1 Scottish Cup win in 1996 when Neil Berry, of all people, scored the winner - I still recall the bemused look on his face when he poked home the winner. He could scarcely be called a prolific scorer but ‘Chuck’s job was to prevent goals, not score them. Another occasion was towards the end of season 2002/03 when Craig Levein was Hearts manager and the maroons had Austin McCann and Andy Webster sent off during a defeat at Rugby Park. Levein’s comments that he lost count of the number of mistakes referee Dougie Mcdonald made after ninety seven incurred the wrath of the SFA and the big Fifer was fined, a penalty that became more severe the number of times he refused to pay it.

Tynecastle has not been without its Hearts-Killie thrillers either. During Jim Jefferies first spell in charge of Hearts, the maroons were flying high in season 1997/98. When Kilmarnock came to Gorgie in November 1997 there ensued one of the best games I’ve seen in more than four decades as a Jambo when a Stephane Adam hat trick inspired Hearts to a thrilling 5-3 win. It was a breathtaking game and Killie, inspired by the veteran Pat Nevin, contributed to a magnificent spectacle.

So, can we expect something similar tomorrow? Well, I suspect we won’t get another 5-3 thriller. However, we will get two teams keen to play a passing game and with the travelling support no doubt eager to show their appreciation to Messrs Jefferies, Brown, Locke and Kyle (okay, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit) the atmosphere should be highly charged.

As it usually is for Hearts-Kilmarnock games. Now, if my boss is reading this, about that pay rise…

2 comments:

  1. I think there could be a lot of expectation amongst Jambo's after our comfortable victory over St Mirren, but Kilmarnock, despite their league position are always a threat. However I feel if we can score early on and push in the first half... I can see another 2 or 3 goal victory ;-) However 3 points is 3 points so a 1-0 will suffice lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My eyes are bleeding after that game!

    ReplyDelete